Saturday, June 28, 2008

Desperate to Meet Jesus

There are stories within our lives that surface often whether because of extreme pain or joy, maybe because through that experience great change took place, or whatever happen was stupid hilarious. Whatever the case may be these chapters of our lives beg to be retold time and time again.
There is a story tucked in the pages of the gospel that amazes and inspires me every time I read it. And for me it begs to be retold; and retold it was this week to no other then a group of 5th and 6th graders. As I shared this story as if it were my own I could not deny the Kingdom implications.
I encourage you to pull out your Bible and take a look at it yourself. (Luke 5:17-26, Mark 2:1-12, Matt 9:1-8)
Here is the story in my own words.
There is a group of five friends who enjoy hanging out we don't have all the info but one of these friends can't walk, he is a paralytic. Maybe it was an accident later in their teen years doing something they shouldn't have been, maybe he was born without the ability to walk. We don't know but we know the group of five were tight, they did life together. Word hits the street that Jesus (who had grown recent fame) had returned home. Jesus has received his fame due to his teaching and his ability to heal. The five decide to go meet Jesus so that they all can walk, even though this would throw off their even numbers for sporting events but it is always good to have a sub. We don't know how far the four carried their buddy, might have been a few hundred yards maybe a lot more, regardless they were committed to getting him to Jesus believing that this was just a one way trip. They get to the house Jesus is teaching in and it is packed. No way to squeeze a person in let alone five including a bed. But they are desperate to get to Jesus. Then one of them had a crazy idea. Desperate people are crazy. I can see it all play out, "Dude, we know Jesus is in there, has to be in the main room of the house which would be just about there. " Then a classic MacGyver moment plays out. "Does anyone have some rope? Check. Does anyone have a Roman Army Knife? Check. How about a hammer or two? Check." "To the roof my friends." The five make their way to the roof and begin to make a hole. Friend gets lowered before Jesus, sins are forgiven, then healing takes place. Man walks home with friends carrying his own bed this time.

We could go so many places with this story but I want to highlight a characteristic we see in Kingdom Living. Desperation to be with Jesus.

How desperate are we to be with Jesus?

How desperate are we to be side by side with Him as He reveals His name in the dark places around us?

I don't think I am that desperate. How many of you have heard someone say, "God keeps closing doors, so I guess He is desiring something else of me." Not only have I heard this ... I have said this. What if the paralytics friends thought this way. I wouldn't blame them. ALL THE DOORS WERE BLOCKED! They would have left unchanged, unhealed, and really tired. But that is not how it went down. Maybe they thought Satan is the one in the habit of closing doors so they got a little crazy. They got a little creative. And they took a huge risk- they didn't know how Jesus would react but they believed and acted out of faith that Jesus would heal.

Isn't it time for God's people to get a little crazy, get a little creative, and step out of that little box we call church. Isn't it time we ask God in and through His grace to help us believe and act rather then waiting for all the answers and data on our next move to come in. I think it is time to desperately seek the face and work of Jesus.

But watch out, some of our own will try to stop you, but I heard the thrill of the ride is worth it.

I wouldn't know yet...but I think I am in line and the wait doesn't look to long. I might even try to cut to the front.

Maybe I'll see you out there-I bet the view is awesome!

No comments: