Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Professonal in Missing the Point

I am often amazed at my own nearsightedness.

I love to talk about the Kingdom and I think that we should but I can be talking about it and in that same moment miss it unfolding before my eyes. Let me share how.

We had an opportunity this summer to go to Nashville and serve the city in a way that demonstrated the hands and feet of Jesus. Our group of adults and youth served in two ways over the the course of the week: Nashville Beautification (picking-up trash) and the Nashville Rescue Mission. The Rescue Mission is a remarkable place where the Kingdom of God is at work in the redemption of lives. It was encouraging to see people dedicate their entire lives to the poor and homeless of Nashville. It was an incredible picture of what humility and sacrifice could and maybe should look like for us Americans.

So our job while there was to go to the basement and help organize and clean their warehouse. We worked hard and accomplished a lot. When we were nearing our time to leave I found myself hungry. I could not get this hunger out of my mind and begin to talk about it with some others who apparently were hungry too. Before long we were talking about going somewhere to eat and as we loaded in the bus and began to head back I had my eyes wide open looking for somewhere delicious within walking distance. I spotted Taco Co. and it was only a 10 minute walk from our dorms. We unloaded and quickly made our way to dine on delectable tacos and fajitas. We left Taco Co. stuffed and we didn't even have to wait till dinner time.

A day went by and we picked up more trash.

The next night we were gathered for a time of worship and God in His incredible grace decided he was going to not let me miss the reality of me missing it the day before.

God had given me a moment, even if only in the smallest way, to feel, experience the desire for food- while in a rescue mission. I could have remained in that place for a while and wrestled with the reality that some go days with this hunger. I could have experience the rich blessing of God as I ate that night and even the blessing of having money to buy a taco.

How often do we miss it? How often our we too busy or insensitive to hear the voice of God?

I am grateful that God let me catch this one because who knows how many times a day I miss it and never know.

Jesus, May you help us to be ever so sensitve to the moving Your Spirit. May we slow down. May we be fully present in the here and now and may you use us to bring here Kingdom here. We need your love, your grace, you forgiveness. Please allow our lives to declare Your name.
Amen.

In what ways have you missed it?

No comments: