Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dickson Street 2am

I'm a family man. I have a beautiful wife and daughter and a son on the way. I would assume that most family guys don't spend their Friday nights hopping from club to bar to karaoke till 2am. I sure don't... well not until last weekend.

Dickson Street is the night life district for most 20-35 year olds in Northwest Arkansas. Many walk over from U of A anywhere from 8 to 10 and then stubble back to their dorm rooms a little after 2am(why 2? Last call).

Dickson Street is amazing- smoky, crowded, loud and full of life. Hope you like to stand and hope you don't mind getting a little beer on the shoes.

So why am I so amazed by this?

Because I was among a demographic of people that are virtually absent from my church and churches across America. This is the group we can't seem to attract or we can't seem to connect with. So Dickson Street had my full attention.

The cool thing about the night was who I was with- my dear friend Steve a Dickson Street native, not to mention Dickson St. Idol 06. Being with Steve allowed me to be on the inside. Plus Steve know everyone- club owners, DJ's, bartenders. Everywhere we turned Steve was introducing me to people.

On are way to our first stop we past two guys holding signs. "God hates immodesty" and another with something about damnation is coming. I wanted to say some wise crack about their lack of Biblical interpretation and understanding but held my breath.

Our first stop was a dance club off the road a ways (lucky it was too early for the dance crowd, so I avoided embarrassment). Here we meet Sara the club owner. Sara was probably in her mid to late twenties and was running the basement bar when we descended the stairs. She immediately recognized Steve and called us over to the bar. After some formal introductions she offered Steve and I a beer- on the house! A sip into our beers Sara was shocked to find out I am a pastor and a Baptist at that! She decided to abandon her post at the bar to sit with us and chat more. Before long we found ourselves talking about quantum physics and its connection to a greater power. Sara is very spiritual, open to many different religions and calls herself a Christian.

From there we headed over to Brewskies- a bar with 30 or more beers on tap and many more in the bottle. Brewskies is always packed on the weekends. I have no clue how any of the waitresses keep every ones tabs straight. It was here I meet up with a few old rugby friends and we also had a interesting conversation with the bartender- a little brunette who played Rugby at a school we played yearly back in the day. She wanted us to friend her on Facebook. Here at Brewskies strangers became friends and the chance of running into them on a Friday night on Dickson St. is not too far out.

At around midnight karaoke starts to pickup, this makes sense because someone who would never sing in public might with a few drinks in them. This place is Steve's home. I think it is safe to say that Steve is a legend here. After all he was Dickson Idol 06 and people don't forget that. It was here where Steve and I began a conversation about how in the world can the church love and reach this crowd.

As the drunken slurring of lyrics rang through the club I sat and asked God what's the deal here? And He said "Who will love them? Who will be gentle but bold with the Truth of me and my story?"

No glorious plans were revealed to us but I could not help think that Steve himself is closer to the answer then I am. Being present and in relationship is where Steve is. In order to be in relationship you first have to be present and in order to be present you first have to be on Dickson Street at inconvenient hours.

Well, I think it is about time be inconvenienced. Don't you?

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

So, I guess we're moving back to Arkansas so you can hang out on Dickson Street?? Works for me!!! :o) (although I personally would have preferred that you guys just stay at the Broadway Cafe!)